Module 1: Exploring a GIS Map
Exercise: Planning a Trip to San Diego
1) Open tourism.mxd in, layered the hotels and major attractions with labels for the attractions,
2) Found San Diego zoo, adjusted map to view the zoo and downtown area
3) Adjusted graphics on all layers for better view of the attractions, hotels, trolley lines and road network,
4) Added legend, scale, title, name and source and made final touchups on graphics for proper view.
Module 1: Using GIS to Solve Problems
Exercise: Find Potential Sites for a Youth Center
1) Opened youthcenter.mxd, choose Union under Geoprocessing menu, added City Zones and Census Blocks 2000 under the Input features tab, directed output file to proper location and changes name to: zones_union, clicked ok .
2) Choose Select By Attributes under Selection menu, chose zones_Union in the layer tab, selected Create a new selection in Method tab, choose “LU_ABV” by double clicking, selected = and double clicked ‘RES”, clicked apply and features highlighted
3) In Select Attributes menu again I selected “AGE_5_17”, selected >= and imput 75, clicked ok,
4) Opened Select by location menu, chose “select features from” under Selection method, checked Available buildings, selected zones_Union under Source layer, made sure Use selected features was checked, selected Target layer features are completely within the Source layer feature, clicked ok and features highlighted.
5) Zoomed to for centered and closer view, added legend, north arrow, title, name and source.