Finding Features Nearby Process Summary
1) Copied Vector1.zip from the R: drive, pasted it to my local drive. Unzipped file to same folder. (Due to slow connection speeds I like to use my computer’s copy of ArcMap so I download everything to my local drive)
2) Opened ArcMap and opened VectorAlalysis_1.mxd by dragging file into the mapspace.
3) Input the proper data into metadata tables. Could not find Feature type and Geometry Type for each layer, but I dug deeper and found it within Item Description>ArcGIS Metadata>ESRI Feature Class
4) Clicked Selection from the menu bar, then chose Select by Location
5) In the Selection method drop down I chose Select Features From. Under Target Layer(s) I selected the check box for Pensacola Parcels. For the Source Layer I chose Pensacola Schools and for the Spatial Selection Method I chose Target Layer features are with a distance of the Source layer feature. Applied a search distance of 2000 feet and clicked OK. Parcel features highlighted and all looked correct.
6) Reopened the Select by Location tool again and changed the Selection method to Select from the currently selected features. Then changed the Source layer to Escambia_hospitals and chose a search distance to 1 mile, clicked apply.
7) Left the Selection tool opene for another search and changed the Selection method to “remove from the currently selected features in”. Changed the Source layer to Rails and did a 1 km search distance, clicked apply.
8) Left the Selection Tool open and did my own search for parcels near cell phone towers by choosing “Select from the currently selected features” under the Selection method drop down. Left Pensacola Parcels as the Target Layer and chose Escambia_cellular as the Source Layer. Chose “Target layer features are with a distance of the Sourece Layer feature” under the Spatial selection method. Applied a search distance of 3000 feet. Clicked apply.
9) Right clicked Pensacola Parcels in the ToC and opened the Attribute Table. Found the answer to Q1 at the bottom of the attribute table.
10) Righted clicked Pensacola Parcels layer and chose Selection>Create Layer from Selected Features. Renamed the new layer to Parcels Nearby and saved my work.
11) Unchecked the Parcels Nearby in order to back to this layer if I make any mistakes going forward on the other layers.
Finding Intersecting Features Process Summary
1) Clicked the Clear button to clear all previously selected features.
2) Opened the Select by Location tool again and set the Selection Method to “select features from”. Checked Pensacola Parcels as the Target Layer. Set the source layer to Flood_Zones. Set the Spatial method to “Target layer features intersect the Source layer feature”. Clicked apply and all looked correct selecting parcels that bordered water as well as some inland of the water.
3) Opened the Select by Attributes tool and selected Pensacola Parcels as the Layer. Selected USE_GEN=Residential and clicked apply retuning the 666 parcels correctly.
4) Opened the attribute table for Pensacola Parcels and right clicked Market_value choosing Statistics finding the sum total answer for Q4.